Nanaimo Bar Cupcakes. This yummy Nanaimo Bar Cupcakes recipe combines each flavor that you love from the traditional Nanaimo bar in an equally as delicious cupcake. These cupcakes are inspired by one of my favourite treats: Nanaimo Bars! Feel free to use your own chocolate cake recipe if you want.
I love custard powder and am happy for any opportunity to use it. A Nanaimo bar is a no bake treat made of a chocolate graham cracker/coconut base (sometimes also with almonds), followed by a yellow custard filling and finally a layer of chocolate. According to Wikipedia, there seems to be a bit of controversy as to where the bar actually originated, but to avoid any potential wrath, I'm going to stick with saying it was in Nanaimo, BC. You can cook Nanaimo Bar Cupcakes using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Nanaimo Bar Cupcakes
- It’s 1 box of Chocolate cake mix with ingredients needed to prepare.
- It’s 3/4 cup of Sweetened shredded coconut (or add a little more or less according to your preference).
- Prepare of Filling.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Butter.
- Prepare 4 cup of Icing sugar.
- Prepare 6 tbsp of Milk.
- You need 4 tbsp of Vanilla pudding mix or custard powder.
- You need 1 tsp of Vanilla (optional).
- It’s of Topping.
- It’s 3/4 cup of Semi-sweet chocolate chips or as needed.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Butter.
There are MANY great things to say about Nanaimo Bars: One – they are a delicious, authentic Canadian treat, Two – a beautiful town in BC where I have relatives and Three – my FAVOURITE type of square. Then combine this with a cupcake. Nanaimo Bar Cupcakes Every once in a while I get a craving for a very specific dessert and Nanaimo bars are often at the top of my list. Nanaimo bars are a treat named after a city in British Columbia (Canada) and consist of a crumb base topped with a vanilla custard-flavored icing and covered with a solid layer of chocolate.
Nanaimo Bar Cupcakes step by step
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding shredded coconut to batter..
- Pour batter into prepared cupcake pans. Bake as directed on the cake mix package..
- Cool cupcakes on wire rack..
- In a large bowl, beat butter until smooth. Stir in custard powder and milk..
- Beat in icing sugar and vanilla until smooth..
- Once cupcakes are COMPLETELY cooled, fill with filling by inserting a piping bag containing the filling and fitted with a small round tip into the centre of cupcake and squeezing bag while slowly pulling out. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes..
- Cover filled cupcakes and store in a cold place to allow the filling to firm up. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and butter over a double boiler or in the microwave..
- Dip tops of cooled cupcakes into melted chocolate so the tops are covered. Cover and allow chocolate to set. ENJOY!!!.
A Nanaimo Bar is a Canadian specialty, in case you're wondering what in the world I'm talking about. It is a three layered dessert bar that has a bottom, brownie like base with almonds and coconut, a middle vanilla custard layer, and a top layer of chocolate.. Remove from the heat; blend in sugar, cocoa, vanilla, egg, crumbs and coconut. A Wee Cupcakery, cupcakes, cakes, weddings. For a less sweet Nanaimo bar – make sure to use unsweetened coconut in the base layer.