Lemon Bars. Try our creamy, dreamy Lemon Squares recipe today. Vegan, Gluten & Dairy Free Made w/ Only Real Lemon, Cashews, Almonds & Dates. Excellent, everything a true lemon bar should be.
This lemon bar recipe has a wonderful tangy flavor, and they're always a hit. The color and shape make them a nice addition to a platter of cookies. —Etta Soucy, Mesa, Arizona The Contessa's easy-to-make lemon bars make a great dessert for a picnic. Citrus zest is a great flavor booster. You can cook Lemon Bars using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Lemon Bars
- Prepare of For the Crust:.
- It’s 1/2 pound (2 sticks) of cold unsalted butter, each stick cut into 1/2" cubes (keep refrigerated until you put in food processor).
- It’s 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
- You need 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- It’s of For the Filling:.
- You need 5 of extra-large eggs at room temperature (or 6 large).
- You need 2 1/4 cups of granulated sugar.
- You need 1.5 tablespoons of grated lemon zest (3 to 5 lemons).
- Prepare 3/4 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- It’s 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Prepare of Confectioners’ (powdered) sugar, for dusting.
I love lemon bars, but they often fall by the wayside and get forgotten for months at a time in our house. We're much more of a chocolate chip cookie/chocolate pie/chocolate sheet cake/chocolate ice cream/chocolate potato chip/chocolate everything household, followed by fruit cobblers and crisps…so I sometimes have to remember to bring lemon bars back into the forefront from time to time. Always bake lemon bars at a lower temperature to avoid over-baking. See recipe notes for important tips.
Lemon Bars instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees..
- For the crust, put flour, sugar, and salt in food processor bowl and give it 6 or 7 quick pulses to aerate and evenly distribute all ingredients. Then add cold butter cubes straight out of the fridge, distributing them evenly over the dry mixture. Pulse food processor a few times to get everything started, then turn processor on and let the whole mixture go *just* until almost all of it is formed into a ball. (I say almost all because you invariably have crumbs that don't attach.).
- Dump the dough onto a floured surface and gather into a ball. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into a 12-inch tart pan, building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides. Chill in freezer for 10 to 15 minutes..
- Prick the crust in several spots with a fork, then bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on..
- For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour until all sugar and salt are completely dissolved. Pour into the crust, until it reaches *just* under the top of the edge (you may have a little left over) and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set. (I actually tend to like a roughly 60% to 40% filling to crust ratio, so I don't always use all the filling anyway.).
- Let cool to room temperature. Cut into triangles or squares and dust with confectioners’ sugar. Enjoy!.
They're simply the best lemon bars and are perfect for picnics, bake sales, spring brunches, baby showers, and bridal showers. Lemon bars aren't inherently difficult to make, but they do require some time. How do you make lemon bars? Lemon Bar Recipes Summery, sweet-tart lemon bars topped with powdered sugar are easier to make from scratch than you think. Plus, they make for an elegant treat to serve at picnics or parties.