Coconut Cream Pie Bars. This coconut cream pie recipe features a creamy coconut filling, crispy homemade pie crust, mounds of sweet whipped cream, and toasted coconut. But coconut cream pie isn't *just* for coconut lovers. If you appreciate thick creamy pies, flaky pie crust, and all that fresh (not store-bought.
These delicious homemade Coconut Cream Pie Bars start with an easy pie crust base, filled with a thick creamy filling and topped with fresh whipped cream! Brighten up a dreary winter day with these zesty coconut cream pie bars. Top with whipped cream and toasted fresh coconut curls for added flavor. You can cook Coconut Cream Pie Bars using 27 ingredients and 23 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Coconut Cream Pie Bars
- It’s of For Coconut Shortbread crust.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour.
- It’s 1 cup of shredded sweetened coconut.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of cold salted butter, cut into about 10 pieces.
- You need of For Chocolate Ganache Layer.
- It’s 6 ounces of semi sweet chocolate, chopped.
- You need 1/3 cup of heavy cream.
- You need of For Coconut Cream Filling.
- Prepare 3 cups of light cream or half and half.
- You need 3 cups of coconut milk.
- You need 4 of large eggs.
- It’s 2/3 cup of cornstarch.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract.
- You need 1/2 cup of sweetened shredded coconut.
- You need of For Topping.
- It’s 2 cups of cold heavy whipping cream.
- It’s 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- You need 1 teaspoon of unflavored gelitin.
- You need 1/4 cup of cold water.
- You need of For Garnish.
- It’s 1 cup of shredded sweetened coconut, toasted, recipe below.
- You need of chocolate shavings as needed.
If so, then Coconut Cream Pie is the food for you. Always have a few in my hand bag. It's like these bars and this pie and a million other decadent creamy desserts rolled into one. Think if it this way: A.
Coconut Cream Pie Bars instructions
- Make crust..
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9 by 13 baking pan with foil. Place one dheet with over hang on the long side and two over lapping on the short side. This will make removing the bars for cutting easy.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, confectioner's sugar, salt and coconut.
- Add the butter pieces and with a pastry cutter or your fingers combine until it resembles a crumb mixture.
- Press evenly into prepared pan. Bake until golden about 18 to 22 minutes. Remove to rack, cool 5 minutes before adding chocolate ganache layer.
- While crust is cooking make chocolate ganacheplace chopped chocolate in a bowl. Heat cream until hot but not boiling, pour over chocolate. Let sit one minute then stir until smooth.
- Allow chocolate to cool about 5 minutes until it is pourable but not hot. Pour onto crust and spread with an off set spatula or back of a spoon to cover crust. Refrigerate while making filling.
- Make Coconut Cream Filling.
- In alarge saucepan combine crem, coconut milk, eggs, cornstarch sugat and salt. Whisk well and heat, stirring constantly, reaching all corners of pan until mixture comes to a boi, cook still constantly stirring until thick and bubbling.This can takel15 to 20 minutes Remove from heat and add both extracts and the 1/2 cup coconut and stir in, cool 5 minutes.
- Pour warm filling over cooled crust. Let stand at room temperature about 20 minutes before refrigerating until set, at least 4 hours.
- For Whipped Cream Topping.
- Place cold water and unflavored gelatin in a small heat proof bowl. Let stand 5 minutes to soften.
- Have a small skillet with simmering water ready. Place bowl with gelatin in simmering water stirring until dissoved and clear. Turn off heat but leave gelatin in warm water while beating cream.
- Beat cream until it holds soft peaks, add confectioner's sugar, vanilla and liquid gelatin and beat until it holds its shape.
- Spread over coconut cream layer, sprinkle on toasted coconut and chocolate shavings. Chill at least 1 hour for whipped cream to set.
- Lift entire bar out with foil, then cut into bars with a sharp knife.
- How to toast coconut. Preheat oven to 350.
- Spread coconut in an even layer on baking sheet.
- Place in oven and bake until golden 5 to 9 minutes, stirring evey minutes until golden.
When I saw this recipe for chocolate coconut cream pie bars I had to make it. Like run as fast as I could to the store and make it! We were having a family gathering that night and I knew this would be the perfect dessert. These Coconut Cream Pie Bars have a rich coconut cream filling set in an easy press-in delicious cookie crust! Big family gatherings and potluck perfect!