Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen). You will also receive free newsletters and notification of America's Test Kitchen specials. Our first cracks at transforming Key lime pie into a cookie left us with a thick, dry crust–and too much lime on our hands. We wanted to raise the bar.
These Key Lime Bars have a puckery curd, no cream cheese filling, layered on a tender graham cracker Get a taste of Miami Beach from your kitchen! Grab the parchment on both sides and lift the frozen bar from the baking dish. You may need to use a knife to release the edges or turn the dish upside down on a cutting board and tap on the bottom to release the block. You can cook Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen) using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen)
- Prepare of Crust.
- You need 5 oz of animal crackers.
- It’s 3 tbsp of packed brown sugar (light or dark).
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of unsalted butter (1/2 stick); melted and cooled slightly.
- You need of Filling.
- Prepare 2 oz of cream cheese (at room temperature).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of grated lime zest.
- You need 1 pinch of salt.
- It’s 14 oz of sweetened condensed milk (1 can).
- It’s 1 large of egg yolk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Key lime or fresh lime juice (about 4 limes).
- It’s 3/4 cup of sweetened shredded coconut, toasted (optional, for garnish).
Our first cracks at transforming Key lime pie into a cookie left us with a thick, dry crust–and too much lime on our hands. We wanted to raise the bar. I made awesome key lime bars from America's Test Kitchen. They recommended, after testing both key limes and Persian limes, that the difference in lovely lime taste wasn't worth squeezing so many key limes.
Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen) instructions
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325°F. Cut about 12-inch length extra-wide heavy-duty foil; fold cut edges back to form 7 1/2 width. With folded sides facing down, fit foil securely into bottom and up sides of 8-inch square baking pan, allowing excess to overhang pan sides. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray..
- To make the crust: In workbowl of food processor, pulse animal crackers until broken down, about ten 1-second pulses; process crumbs until evenly fine, about 10 seconds (you should have aboutj 1 1/4 cups crumbs). Add brown sugar and salt; process to combine, ten to twelve 1-second pulses (if large sugar lumps remain, break them apart with fingers). Drizzle butter over crumbs and pulse until crumbs are evenly moistened with butter, about ten 1-second pulses. Press crumbs evenly and firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake until deep golden brown, 18-20 minutes. Cool on wire rack while making filling. Do not turn off oven..
- To make the filling: While crust cools, in medium bowl, stir cream cheese, zest, and salt with rubber spatula until softened, creamy, and thoroughly combined. Add sweetened condensed milk and whisk vigorously until incorporated and no lumps of cream cheese remain; whisk in egg yolk. Add lime juice and whisk gently until incorporated (mixture will thicken slightly)..
- To assemble and bake: Pour filling into crust; spread to corners and smooth surface with rubber spatula. Bake until set and edges begin to pull away slightly from sides, 15-20 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Cover with foil and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours..
- Loosen edges with paring knife and lift bars from baking pan using foil extensions; cut bars into 16 squares. Sprinkle with toasted coconut, if using, and serve. (Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 2 days; crust will soften slightly. Let bars stand at room temperature about 15 minutes before serving.).
- Recipe can be doubled in 9×13 pan; increase baking time by 1-2 minutes..
I know other's MMV, but I found that the ease of access to regular old limes and having to. If you can't find Key limes, use regular fresh lime juice. At one party, they never made it out of the kitchen! The crust itself is so appealing that I almost buried my face in it the moment it came out of the Key Lime Bars. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. These from-scratch key lime bars are simple, fresh, light and absolutely delish.