Crisp Butter Cookies. Beat in egg whites and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Since these are refrigerator cookies, this is a very handy recipe.
In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture, mixing well (dough will be very stiff). Repeat with the second disk of dough. You'll need to keep an eye on them to make sure they're properly baked but not overdone either – it's a delicate balance but it will be second nature once you've made them a few times! You can cook Crisp Butter Cookies using 5 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Crisp Butter Cookies
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Butter.
- You need 1 cup of Sugar.
- You need 5 of Egg yolks.
- Prepare 2 cup of All-purpose flour.
- You need 1 of as needed Colored Sugar.
In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, white sugar and brown sugar. Mix in the egg and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into the batter until well blended. This allows a cookie to spread much more during baking than other solid fats, such as shortening.
Crisp Butter Cookies instructions
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Blend in egg yolks. Add flour, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Dough will be very stiff..
- On a well-floured surface or pastry cloth, roll out dough to a 1/8 in. thickness. Using a pastry wheel or knife, cut into 2 1/2 in. squares, diamonds, or rectangles. Place 1/2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugars..
- Bake at 375* for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned..
Cookie recipes made without brown sugar will be harder, flatter, and crispier. Flatten with fork, making criss cross pattern. Roll into sugar before placing on cookie sheet. Immediately press chocolate candy kiss firmly into top of each cookie. Flatten the cookies slightly and imprint the traditional cross-hatch marks using the back of a fork or make the nifty indentations you see in the photo.