Lemon Squares. Delicious Vegan Bars Made with only Real Lemon, Cashews, Almonds and Dates. Excellent, everything a true lemon bar should be. These lemon squares are a delightful recipe from my mother's file.
I love lemon bars, but they often fall by the wayside and get forgotten for months at a time in our house. We're much more of a chocolate chip cookie/chocolate pie/chocolate sheet cake/chocolate ice cream/chocolate potato chip/chocolate everything household, followed by fruit cobblers and crisps…so I sometimes have to remember to bring lemon bars back into the forefront from time to time. Lemon squares combine the wonderful flavor of freshly squeezed lemon juice with just a few staples such as sugar, flour, eggs, and milk in this simple Lemon Squares dessert. You can have Lemon Squares using 11 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Lemon Squares
- It’s 2 cups of flour.
- It’s 1 cup of butter.
- It’s 1/2 cup of icing sugar.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 4 of eggs beaten.
- You need 2 cups of white sugar.
- You need 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 4 tsp of flour.
- It’s 5 Tbsp of fresh squeezed lemon juice.
- You need of Rind of 1 whole lemon; prepare with lemon zester.
- Prepare of Icing sugar for topping.
But not only the ingredients are simple—the recipe is too. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, lemon juice, baking powder and remaining flour. Using a small, fine meshed sieve, sift remaining confectioners' sugar on top when cool. For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour.
Lemon Squares step by step
- Cream the flour, butter, icing sugar and salt together until crumbly. Pat down gently into 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake until lightly tan/brown – 20 minutes at 325 degrees..
- Combine all remaining ingredients (except icing sugar for topping) and pour over hot crust. Bake 35 more minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with sifted icing sugar for topping. Let cool. Cut with a wet knife..
- Serve and enjoy!.
I made the lemon squares yesterday for our weekly family dinner. One of my family members celebrated her birthday yesterday, and she loves lemon pie. I always detect a slight metallic flavor in the lemon bars when baked in metal pans. Lemon bars freeze beautifully — they are even good frozen. To freeze the bars, let them cool completely and freeze the batch whole, covered tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, for up to three months. (The cut bars can also be frozen in a single layer.) Before serving, remove them from the freezer and let them thaw overnight in.