Umm Ali (Egyptian Dessert). Umm Ali is a delicious traditional Egyptian dessert equivalent to North America's bread pudding. This Umm Ali is a traditional Egyptian Sweet Pastry Dessert similar to North American bread pudding. It uses puff pastry, raisins, almonds and Okay, before you run away screaming, hear me out.
There are numerous variations with different composition. One of the most famous and delicious Egyptian desserts dates back to the rule of Shagarat el-Dour. She invented this sweet to Since that time, the dessert was named after her "Umm Ali". You can cook Umm Ali (Egyptian Dessert) using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Umm Ali (Egyptian Dessert)
- It’s 2 of sweet croissant.
- Prepare 1 & 1/2 – 2 cups of evaporated milk / thickened milk.
- Prepare 2-3 tbsp of khoya (opt).
- It’s 3 tbsp of sugar (powdered) or as required.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of cream.
- You need 1/4 cup of fresh grated coconut.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of butter.
- You need 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder.
- It’s 1 tbsp of rose water.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of each of chopped pistachios, almonds, raisins & pomegranate pearls.
Now the dessert is usually prepared from Egyptian flat thin bread soaked in whole milk. You could think of Om Ali as the Egyptian cousin of the ever-so-popular bread pudding. Same idea of soaking some type of bready carb with dairy and Once you get your hands on some palmiers, fresh (preferably organic buffalo) milk, eshta (or whipped cream), sugar and nuts, this dessert is easy as. This dessert was later named Umm Ali.
Umm Ali (Egyptian Dessert) step by step
- Mix together the cream and 1 tbsp sugar. Keep aside. Shred the croissant into medium size pieces..
- In a pan heat the milk, 2 tbsp sugar, butter, cardamom powder and rose water..
- Arrange the shredded croissants and the khoya inside a baking dish..
- Pour the milk mixture on top of the croissant,.
- Followed by the cream and coconut..
- Sprinkle the nuts and raisins..
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees C. or till the surface turns slightly brown..
- Bring it to a room temperature & refrigerate for some time. Garnish with the pomegranate pearls and enjoy chilled..
Ironically Egypt is making the news nowadays, some say it's a coup, others say its You guessed right, Ummm Ali. It is made from milk, puff pastry, dried fruits, and nuts. Umm Ali/Omm Ali is a delectable and an age-old middle eastern dessert which gets creaminess from the milk & cream and crunchiness from the nuts used in it. This scrumpitious dessert is an absolute bliss. The perfect and soothing sweet dish for your Iftar too.