Vickys Homemade 'Cadburys Crunchie' Bars, GF DF EF SF NF.
You can cook Vickys Homemade 'Cadburys Crunchie' Bars, GF DF EF SF NF using 6 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vickys Homemade 'Cadburys Crunchie' Bars, GF DF EF SF NF
- It’s 200 g of caster sugar.
- It’s 100 g (5 tbsp) of golden syrup.
- You need 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 1.5 tsp of bicarb of soda / baking soda.
- It’s 150 g of chocolate, broken, such as Moo-Free, Plamil or Enjoy Life free-from brands.
- Prepare 1 tsp of coconut oil.
Vickys Homemade 'Cadburys Crunchie' Bars, GF DF EF SF NF step by step
- Line a 20cm square cake tin with some parchment paper and grease the paper well with butter or sunflower spread before you begin.
- Melt the sugar and syrup together in a heavy bottomed saucepan over a medium heat until the sugar has completely dissolved then stir in the vanilla.
- You shouldn't be able to see any sugar grains. If you use granulated sugar instead of caster sugar it will take a bit longer to dissolve.
- Bring to a boil then turn down to low and let simmer for 10 minutes. It should reach a temp of 145C / 290F, almost hard crack stage, for a good crunch.
- Take off the heat and quickly stir in the bicarb – be careful, this is a bit of a volcanic reaction.
- Pour the mixture straight into the cake tin and don't try to spread it out. It'll sink down a little. Leave it where it lands and let it cool at room temp until set, 1 hour or so. If you want it to remain higher use a smaller tin but it will be more difficult to break and will take slightly longer to set.
- Score the top of the mixture after 5 minutes or so, then it'll be easier to break where you want it to for making the Crunchie bars.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together over a bain marie or in short blasts in the microwave (I actually used these leftover Easter bunnies – sssh!) You can temper the chocolate if you're giving as a gift – see my How To Temper Chocolate guide I previously posted.
- Break the crunchie into bars using your score marks as a guide. Don't worry if a couple break. They're the chefs treat 😉.
- Lay out a wire rack and put some parchment paper underneath to catch the mess you're about to make.
- Dip the bars in the melted chocolate and coat completely then lay on the wire rack to set at room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container once set. Don't refrigerate or they'll sweat.
- Alternatively, break up and use as an ice cream topping or add-in.