Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen). Add lime juice and whisk gently until incorporated (mixture will thicken slightly). Key limes are more tart, with fragrant, floral juice. They used to be grown widely in the Florida Keys, and cooks who lived there invented key lime pie as a way to use the juice.
Brownie muffin pastry cupcake cake dessert chocolate cake. You will also receive free newsletters and. Key Lime Bars From Favorite Citrus. You can have Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen) using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen)
- Prepare of Crust.
- You need 5 oz of animal crackers.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of packed brown sugar (light or dark).
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt.
- It’s 4 tbsp of unsalted butter (1/2 stick); melted and cooled slightly.
- You need of Filling.
- It’s 2 oz of cream cheese (at room temperature).
- You need 1 tbsp of grated lime zest.
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt.
- Prepare 14 oz of sweetened condensed milk (1 can).
- Prepare 1 large of egg yolk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Key lime or fresh lime juice (about 4 limes).
- Prepare 3/4 cup of sweetened shredded coconut, toasted (optional, for garnish).
You will also receive free newsletters and notification of America's. To bring the essence of Key lime pie to our lime bar recipe, we wondered if Key limes were really key. Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk until smooth, then whisk in the lime juice. Cupcake ipsum dolor sit amet chocolate bar halvah carrot cake donut.
Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen) instructions
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325°F. Cut about 12-inch length extra-wide heavy-duty foil; fold cut edges back to form 7 1/2 width. With folded sides facing down, fit foil securely into bottom and up sides of 8-inch square baking pan, allowing excess to overhang pan sides. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray..
- To make the crust: In workbowl of food processor, pulse animal crackers until broken down, about ten 1-second pulses; process crumbs until evenly fine, about 10 seconds (you should have aboutj 1 1/4 cups crumbs). Add brown sugar and salt; process to combine, ten to twelve 1-second pulses (if large sugar lumps remain, break them apart with fingers). Drizzle butter over crumbs and pulse until crumbs are evenly moistened with butter, about ten 1-second pulses. Press crumbs evenly and firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake until deep golden brown, 18-20 minutes. Cool on wire rack while making filling. Do not turn off oven..
- To make the filling: While crust cools, in medium bowl, stir cream cheese, zest, and salt with rubber spatula until softened, creamy, and thoroughly combined. Add sweetened condensed milk and whisk vigorously until incorporated and no lumps of cream cheese remain; whisk in egg yolk. Add lime juice and whisk gently until incorporated (mixture will thicken slightly)..
- To assemble and bake: Pour filling into crust; spread to corners and smooth surface with rubber spatula. Bake until set and edges begin to pull away slightly from sides, 15-20 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Cover with foil and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours..
- Loosen edges with paring knife and lift bars from baking pan using foil extensions; cut bars into 16 squares. Sprinkle with toasted coconut, if using, and serve. (Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 2 days; crust will soften slightly. Let bars stand at room temperature about 15 minutes before serving.).
- Recipe can be doubled in 9×13 pan; increase baking time by 1-2 minutes..
Halvah apple pie apple pie brownie donut cheesecake. Brownie muffin pastry cupcake cake dessert chocolate cake. And, I like the fact you used animal crackers to make the crust. I've used Lorna Doone and Nilla Wafer cookies before, but never animal crackers for a crumb crust. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place cherries, cut side up, on sheet.