Millionaire Bars (Caramel Shortbread Bars). Find Deals on Caramel Shortbread in Snack Food on Amazon. I received many wonderful family recipes but, in the end, these Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Squares of Scottish origin won me over. Known as Millionaire's Shortbread, presumably because they are so rich, they consist of a layer of crumbly shortbread, a layer of soft caramel and a layer of chocolate.
However, it is believed that the name actually came from Scotland. There are many names for this treat: caramel squares, millionaire's bars, caramel shortcake, or caramel slices. If you think about it, Twix bars are also a Millionaire's Shortbread! You can cook Millionaire Bars (Caramel Shortbread Bars) using 15 ingredients and 20 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Millionaire Bars (Caramel Shortbread Bars)
- You need of For the shortbread crust.
- You need 3/4 cups of unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 1/2 sticks).
- Prepare 1/3 cup of granulated sugar.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- It’s of For Caramel Layer.
- You need 1 (14 ounce) of can sweetened condensed milk.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.
- It’s of For Chocolate Layer.
- You need 4 ounces of good quality milk chocolate, I used Lindt Excellence Extra Creamy Milk Chocolate, chopped.
- It’s 2 ounces of good quality semi sweet bar chocolate, chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 tablespoon of salted butter.
- You need 1/2 cup of English toffee bits, I used Heath enlist toffee bits.
Millionaire Shortbread bars are freezer friendly, and can be stored in the freezer. To freeze millionaire bars, after they have been sliced, wrap them in parchment paper and place in a ziplock bag. To thaw, allow millionaire bars to sit at room temperature. Spread thickened mixture on top of baked shortbread.
Millionaire Bars (Caramel Shortbread Bars) step by step
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 8 by 8 baking dish with foil with sides extending over the edge for easy removal of bars. Spray foil woth non stick spray.
- Make Shortbread Crust.
- In a bowl beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and salt and beat just until the dough forms clumps.
- Press onto prepared pan evenly and bake about 25 to 30 minutes until light golden.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make Caramel Layer.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk in to a heatproof bowl and stir in salt and vanilla.
- Place bowl over simmering water, cover with foil and cook until a golden caramel forms about 60 to 90 minutes. Stir occasionally and check to be sure the water level is ok..
- Remove from heat and beat until smooth with a whisk..
- Spread caramel over cooled shortbread crust. Let caramel firm up about 60 minutes before adding chocolate layer.
- Make Chocolate Layer.
- Combine both chopped chocolates and butter in a microwave safe bowl, microwave carefully until just melted then stir smooth.
- Let sit about 5 minutes to cool a bit then pour over caramel layer.
- While chocolate is still warm evenly top with Toffee bits.
- Let chocolate set before cutting g into bars. Refrigerate for easy cutting. To cut remove entire shortbread from pan in one piece, then cut. Store in refrigerator or freeze individual bars for layer.
Chocolate Caramel Shortbread adapted from Nigella Lawson Preheat […] What is Millionaire's Shortbread? Imagine a gourmet version of the famous Twix candy bar. This Millionaire's Shortbread is the perfect trifecta: Sweet simple, crisp shortbread, rich chewy, homemade caramel, and thick dark chocolate ganache. Sprinkle everything off with a scattering of sea salt and you have a decadently rich treat that lives up to every penny of its lucrative name.