Umm Ali (egyptian dessert). This Umm Ali is a traditional Egyptian Sweet Pastry Dessert similar to North American bread pudding. It uses puff pastry, raisins, almonds and Okay, before you run away screaming, hear me out. This Egyptian Sweet Pastry Dessert is totally delicious, easy, and made from really common ingredients.
The name "Om Ali" is literally translated into the mother of Ali and it is traced back to the Ayyubid era. Umm Ali is a delicious traditional Egyptian dessert equivalent to North America's bread pudding. One of the most famous and delicious Egyptian desserts dates back to the rule of Shagarat el-Dour. You can have Umm Ali (egyptian dessert) using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Umm Ali (egyptian dessert)
- You need 500 grams of puff pastery.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of walnuts.
- It’s 1/3 cup of pistachio.
- You need 1/3 cup of almonds.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of shredded coconut.
- It’s 1/4 cup of raisins.
- It’s 4 cup of milk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of cream.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of sugar.
She invented this sweet to Since that time, the dessert was named after her "Umm Ali". Now the dessert is usually prepared from Egyptian flat thin bread soaked in whole milk. You could think of Om Ali as the Egyptian cousin of the ever-so-popular bread pudding. Same idea of soaking some type of bready carb with dairy and Once you get your hands on some palmiers, fresh (preferably organic buffalo) milk, eshta (or whipped cream), sugar and nuts, this dessert is easy as.
Umm Ali (egyptian dessert) instructions
- The puff pastery I buy comes cut into squares, if you buy it as one sheet cut it into squares. Spread the puff pastery in the baking sheet and bake it in the oven at 200ºC for 20 minutes or until the pastery has puffed up and is slightly golden brown..
- Set the pastery aside to cool down. While waiting for the pastery to cool chop the walnuts, pistachios, and almonds. Mix them together in a bowl and add the coconut to them..
- Once the puff pastery has cooled shred half of it and place it into a deep baking dish or pyrex. Spread the nut mixture and raisins over the pastery layer, but save 1-2 tablespoon of the nut mixture..
- Shread the rest off the puff pastery and spread over the nut mixture layer. Sprinkle the 1-2 tablespoon of nut mixture on top..
- Mix the milk, cream, and sugar in a pan. Heat the mixture until all the sugar has dissolved..
- Pour the milk mixture over the puff pastry and nut mixture. Bake in a 180ºC oven for 10 minutes..
- This dish is best served hot. Enjoy :).
This dessert was later named Umm Ali. Ironically Egypt is making the news nowadays, some say it's a coup, others say its You guessed right, Ummm Ali. Umm Ali a famous Egyptian dessert recipe by Food Fusion. Om Ali or Umm Ali is the Egyptian equivalent to the western bread pudding. A traditional Egyptian dessert of soaked bread, milk and loads of nuts.