Nanaimo Bars (Canada's other favourite dessert!). Today we will be learning how to make Canada'. Nanaimo bars are considered to be a Canadian invented recipe. These are included in almost all dessert trays that are served at any kind of party or.
The story goes that a Nanaimo housewife entered a recipe for a chocolate square in a magazine contest. Apparently Nanaimo bars are quite the thing in Canada. So much in fact that most take them for granted or wouldn't know of their non-existence outside of their northern country. You can cook Nanaimo Bars (Canada's other favourite dessert!) using 16 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Nanaimo Bars (Canada's other favourite dessert!)
- Prepare 8 Inch of square baking tray, or similarly sized.
- It’s of — Bottom Layer —.
- It’s 110 grams of butter (1/2 cup).
- Prepare 50 grams of white sugar (1/4 cup).
- Prepare 40 grams of cocoa (5 tablespoons).
- It’s 1 of egg (beaten).
- It’s 100 grams of graham cracker crumbs (1 1/4 cups).
- Prepare 1 cup of coconut.
- You need of — Filling —.
- Prepare 110 grams of butter (1/2 cup).
- It’s 40 grams of heavy cream (2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons).
- You need 20 grams of custard powder (2 tablespoon).
- You need 250 grams of icing sugar (about 2 cups).
- Prepare of — Top Layer —.
- You need 115 grams of milk or semi-sweet chocolate (4 oz).
- Prepare 30 grams of butter (2 tablespoon).
The ingredients in this recipe are all pretty basic and you'll probably have most of them in your pantry, except one. Some call these bars Canada's national dessert. Explore best places to eat nanaimo bars in Canada and worldwide. It's a dessert that needs no baking..
Nanaimo Bars (Canada's other favourite dessert!) step by step
- For the bottom layer, melt your butter, white sugar and cocoa in a double boiler (this is a second pot sitting on top of a pot with gently boiling water in it)..
- Remove from the heat, and add the egg, and stir until the mixture thickens. Then stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts..
- Press mixture into your pan using a rubber spatula..
- For the filling, cream together the butter, cream, custard powder, and icing sugar. Beat this until it has a light consistency, and then spread on top of the bottom layer. If your butter is too hard to cream, you can melt it in advance..
- Spread on top of the bottom layer..
- For the top layer, melt the chocolate and the butter together with your double boiler and mix, once combined remove from heat..
- Let it cool, and while still liquid spread it over the filling layer..
- Cover your tray with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge to cool for at least an hour or two..
- Cut into pieces, and serve cold with tea or coffee. Enjoy!.
This no-bake dessert starts out with a graham wafer bottom, a midsection made of custard, and a top made out of chocolate. Whip up a batch of our homemade Nanaimo bars and celebrate our culinary heritage. For easy removal of dessert from pan before cutting into bars, line empty pan with foil or parchment paper, with ends of foil extending over sides. A decadent dessert bar made with a chocolate graham cracker coconut crust, a creamy sweet filling, topped with chocolate ganache. I just know a Nanaimo bar is one of my favorite dessert bars of all time.