Coconut Cream Pie Bars. I love it in pies, cakes and coconut-flavored drinks. My absolute favorite way to eat it is in pie. Coconut cream pie is turned into a delicious hand-held treat in this recipe for pie bars made with shredded coconut and vanilla pudding mix.
Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat. Have NO idea how a coconut cream pie bar got mixed in with the turtle story, but I just loved the turtle story (haven't tried the bars yet). I am the crazy woman stopping traffic in the Tampa Bay area to help turtles (and tortoises) get across the street before they are squashed. You can have Coconut Cream Pie Bars using 27 ingredients and 23 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Coconut Cream Pie Bars
- Prepare of For Coconut Shortbread crust.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 cup of shredded sweetened coconut.
- You need 1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar.
- It’s 3/4 cup of cold salted butter, cut into about 10 pieces.
- It’s of For Chocolate Ganache Layer.
- Prepare 6 ounces of semi sweet chocolate, chopped.
- You need 1/3 cup of heavy cream.
- You need of For Coconut Cream Filling.
- It’s 3 cups of light cream or half and half.
- You need 3 cups of coconut milk.
- You need 4 of large eggs.
- You need 2/3 cup of cornstarch.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract.
- You need 1/2 cup of sweetened shredded coconut.
- It’s of For Topping.
- It’s 2 cups of cold heavy whipping cream.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- You need 1 teaspoon of unflavored gelitin.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of cold water.
- You need of For Garnish.
- It’s 1 cup of shredded sweetened coconut, toasted, recipe below.
- You need of chocolate shavings as needed.
Love turtles and love your story. Cookies add extra sunshine to the day and these coconut cream pie bars are one of the best little fruit cookies of all-time. These cookie bars are sweet and creamy and delicious. I also love coconut sheet cake but there's just something about cookies.
Coconut Cream Pie Bars instructions
- Make crust..
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9 by 13 baking pan with foil. Place one dheet with over hang on the long side and two over lapping on the short side. This will make removing the bars for cutting easy.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, confectioner's sugar, salt and coconut.
- Add the butter pieces and with a pastry cutter or your fingers combine until it resembles a crumb mixture.
- Press evenly into prepared pan. Bake until golden about 18 to 22 minutes. Remove to rack, cool 5 minutes before adding chocolate ganache layer.
- While crust is cooking make chocolate ganacheplace chopped chocolate in a bowl. Heat cream until hot but not boiling, pour over chocolate. Let sit one minute then stir until smooth.
- Allow chocolate to cool about 5 minutes until it is pourable but not hot. Pour onto crust and spread with an off set spatula or back of a spoon to cover crust. Refrigerate while making filling.
- Make Coconut Cream Filling.
- In alarge saucepan combine crem, coconut milk, eggs, cornstarch sugat and salt. Whisk well and heat, stirring constantly, reaching all corners of pan until mixture comes to a boi, cook still constantly stirring until thick and bubbling.This can takel15 to 20 minutes Remove from heat and add both extracts and the 1/2 cup coconut and stir in, cool 5 minutes.
- Pour warm filling over cooled crust. Let stand at room temperature about 20 minutes before refrigerating until set, at least 4 hours.
- For Whipped Cream Topping.
- Place cold water and unflavored gelatin in a small heat proof bowl. Let stand 5 minutes to soften.
- Have a small skillet with simmering water ready. Place bowl with gelatin in simmering water stirring until dissoved and clear. Turn off heat but leave gelatin in warm water while beating cream.
- Beat cream until it holds soft peaks, add confectioner's sugar, vanilla and liquid gelatin and beat until it holds its shape.
- Spread over coconut cream layer, sprinkle on toasted coconut and chocolate shavings. Chill at least 1 hour for whipped cream to set.
- Lift entire bar out with foil, then cut into bars with a sharp knife.
- How to toast coconut. Preheat oven to 350.
- Spread coconut in an even layer on baking sheet.
- Place in oven and bake until golden 5 to 9 minutes, stirring evey minutes until golden.
These little babies are great for large family gatherings and potluck dinners. Coconut Cream Pie Bars would be a great dessert recipe for family dinners, potlucks or any celebration. The shortbread crust and creamy coconut filling is topped with toasted coconut and toasted almonds for a delicious anytime dessert! PIN IT TO SAVE FOR LATER. Spoon whipped cream into a pastry bag fitted with a medium star tip.