Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Caramel Buttercream. The chocolate part of a whoopie pie thicker than cake, but lighter than cookie. I'm not sure where whoopie pies have been all my life, but I'm sure glad they've finally made an appearance. Chocolate whoopie pies are like mini chocolate cake sandwiches and if that doesn't convince you, I don't know what will.
Whoopie pies are not pies at all but a cake-like sandwich cookie. Whoopie pies aren't exactly very pie-ish! Whoopie pies are basically what would happen if a cake married a cookie and had a baby. You can have Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Caramel Buttercream using 26 ingredients and 26 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Caramel Buttercream
- Prepare 1 cup of All purpose Flour.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Cocoa unsweetened Powder.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of Espresso Instant Powder (optional).
- You need 1/3 cup of Sugar Powdered (adjust to taste).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Butter , softened at room temperature (preferably unsalted).
- It’s 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Powder.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of Salt (skip if using salted butter).
- It’s 2 tablespoons of Sour Cream Yogurt Egg / thick, plain or 1.
- It’s 1/3 cup of Milk Buttermilk or (start with 1/4 cup and adjust as required).
- Prepare 2 + 1/4 Tablespoons cups of butter Soft (preferably unsalted).
- Prepare 4 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar.
- You need 2 of Condensed Milk Tablespoonss.
- Prepare 4 Tablespoons of Milk Cream or.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Butterscotch or extract – optional.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Chocolate.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Cream.
- It’s of Chocolate Chips.
- Prepare of Nuts Crushed (cashews / almonds / pistachios).
- Prepare of Sprinkles.
- It’s of vanilla Simple buttercream.
- You need of Chocolate Buttercream.
- You need of Cream Whipped.
- Prepare of Cream Cheese Frosting.
- It’s of Marshmallow cream.
The only thing that takes time is to let the caramel sauce cool down. Whoopie pies are not pies at all but a cake-like sandwich cookie. A New England phenomenon that's becoming popular everywhere, the famous "pies" are really more like soft cakes with a creamy filling. It might not be as visually appealing as a giant stack of whoopie pies…I mean not much would…but it is incredibly tasty.
Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Caramel Buttercream step by step
- Preheat oven to 160C / 325F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cream together butter, sugar, vanilla extract for 2-3 minutes until you have a smooth mixture..
- Add cocoa powder, instant espresso, yogurt (or sour cream or eggs) and beat well for a couple minutes..
- Sift in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and add a couple tablespoons of the milk / buttermilk. Start mixing slowly and add more milk, if required. Make sure there are no lumps in the batter. Do no over mix or you'll end up with a tough texture..
- If you have any leftover batter on the spoon, put some under the parchment paper on the cookie sheet. This helps the parchment stick to the sheet and not move..
- Using an ice cream scoop or a 1 tablespoon measure spoon, scoop out the batter and place it on the baking sheet at a distance of 1 inch from each other..
- Bake at 160 C for 8-12 minutes or until the cookies are fully cooked through. Depending on the size of your pies, they will take anywhere between 7 to 11 minutes so keep an eye on them..
- Allow them to cool completely..
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter and the brown sugar to a microwave safe bowl..
- Microwave on high power for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar melts into the butter..
- Add condensed milk, some milk / cream and mix well..
- Microwave again for 4-5 minutes..
- Add a pinch of salt when it is out. Mix well and let it cool..
- It will start to thicken as it cools. Just keep stirring well..
- In a mixing bowl, add 1/4 cup of soft butter and beat it well for 2-3 minutes to get a creamy frosting. Add the cooled caramel to the butter and beat well again..
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Then use as required..
- Warm the cream in a sauce until you start to see bubbles forming on the edges of the cream..
- Pour the cream on top of chopped chocolate. Let the mixture sit undisturbed for 2-3 minutes..
- Then mix well for 2-3 minutes to form a smooth chocolate ganache. Keep it refrigerated until use..
- Separate the cookies. On the bootom of one half of the cookies, apply some chocolate ganache (that has thickened). You can also sprinkle some chocolate chips or sprinkles or nuts..
- One the other half of the cookies, spread some of the caramel buttercream filling..
- Sandwich both kinds of cookies and place on a plate..
- If you want, you can dip one top of the pies in some melted ganache, sprinkle some more nuts or chocolate hcips and refrigerate for 15 minutes for everything to set..
- Serve at room temperature..
- Ideally, you should serve these the same day. But they can stay in the refrigerator for up to 2 days..
- Instead of caramel buttercream and chocolate ganache, you can use any frosting of your choice..
And also, you can actually slice it. Use this recipe for the whoopie pie cakes. If the caramelized sugar touches even a single granule. Home » Course » Dessert » Chocolate Cupcakes with Caramel Filling. For our chocolate peppermint whoopie pies we are making a thick chocolate cake batter to bake into cookies.