Scottish Shortbread Cookies. Historically, Scottish shortbread only varied from traditional shortbread in that it was originally made with remnants of bread dough, oatmeal and yeast, resulting in a dry, biscuit-like cookie. This simple three-ingredient shortbread cookie recipe makes wonderfully rich, tender cookies. These tried-and-true Scottish cookies couldn't be easier!
By Julie Espy Published in Christmas. When it comes to Christmas cookies, there is one cookie that has my heart above the rest. Sprinkle board with the remaining flour. You can cook Scottish Shortbread Cookies using 4 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Scottish Shortbread Cookies
- It’s 5 sticks of butter, unsalted at room temperature.
- It’s 1 1/4 cup of sugar.
- You need 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 5 cups of flour.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. This is a great recipe for light and flaky cookies! I like to have one with a cup of coffee. This Scottish Shortbread Cookie recipe has the traditional light and crunchy texture that we have come to expect from this traditional sweet treat.
Scottish Shortbread Cookies instructions
- Cream together butter and sugar. Mix in flour and salt. Dough will look crumbly..
- Pour entire bowl onto a cookie sheet. Spread out evenly over the entire sheet, pressing down, almost like making a crust. Should be about 1/2" high. Poke every 2 inches with a fork..
- Place in oven at 275 degrees F for an hour, until slightly golden brown..
- Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes. Cut into squares or diamonds. A pizza cutter works great..
Scottish shortbread was ALWAYS on the list of "to bake cookies." Along with chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, spritzer cookies, no-bake cookies…you get the idea, right? See more ideas about Cookie recipes, Dessert recipes, Shortbread. A quick and irresistibly, delicious Scottish Shortbread recipe. Scottish shortbread mostly liked by all kinds of age group as a tea time snack. Shelf Life: shortbread cookies have a fairly long shelf life.