You can have Thumbprint Cookies using 8 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Thumbprint Cookies
- Prepare 226 grams of Butter, room temperature.
- It’s 100 grams of White sugar.
- You need 2 of Egg yolks, room temperature.
- You need 1 tsp of Vanilla extract.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Almond extract.
- Prepare 260 grams of All purpose flour.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Salt (can omit if using salted butter).
- It’s 240 ml of Jam, as needed (you probably won't need this much) I used strawberry fruit spread.
Thumbprint Cookies step by step
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Add butter to bowl and mix for a few seconds until soft. Make sure to scrape down the bowl occasionally..
- Add sugar at once to the butter and cream for 5 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Remember to scrape down the bowl..
- Add egg yolks one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Also add the extracts..
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and salt together with a whisk or a sifter. Add the flour mix to the butter mix. Dough will look crumbly at first, but will then become sticky..
- Place bowl in fridge for about 10 minutes or until the butter firms up and it's easy to shape into balls..
- Once the dough is firm, scoop out with a small spoon and form into balls onto a prepared baking sheet..
- Once all the dough is formed, either take the back of a spoon or a clean finger and press down on the tops of the balls, forming an indentation. If the sides crack, do your best to shape the edges. You want a good sized well to hold your jam..
- Place a spoonful of jam in each indentation. Make sure not to fill them too much or the jam will bubble out..
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Cookies will be done when they're set with a very light brown on the edges and the jam starts to bubble..
- Let cool and enjoy! With the jam, these cookies last a few days before making the cookies too soft and crumbly. If you prefer, you can fill the cookies after you baked them. You can also did what I did and give them a drizzle. Some leftover dark chocolate ganache compliments the sweet strawberry jam..